In response to the criticism over the 2016 US presidential election, Twitter has unveiled its new ‘transparency center’ which will enforce tougher standards for political adverts on the social media platform.
This comes after the company were placed under fire for allowing adverts, which may have been Russian propaganda, in last year’s election.
The plan is that the Transparency Center will be able to show users the details of adverts on Twitter, with facts such as what length of time they have been up for and if they are aimed at you as a user.
If you think that an advert running on Twitter is unfair or there is something wrong about it, it will be possible to report it.
The media giant is especially concerned about political adverts and anything that may be seen as campaigning for a political party, person or cause.
In this new transparency center, readers will be able to discover more about these political ads and see which demographic have been picked out to be shown the adverts.
Additionally, the transparency center will show how much a certain political candidate, cause or campaign has spent on advertising.
Initially it will only be the USA where these initiatives will be focused, but in time, this information should also be available to be accessed all over the globe.
In a similar move, Facebook also announced that they were planning on increasing their transparency, with regards to advertising.
- Twitter are also considering launching a premium version of their website which would be ad free for subscribers.
TWITTER ADS FACTS
- Although the cost may be prohibitive, the pay back is worth placing an ad on Twitter to grow any business.
- Compared to Facebook, Twitter ads are about six times the price but the CTR for Twitter is between eight and twenty four times the rate of Facebook.
- A promoted tweet can boost sales offline, in real life, by up to nearly 30%
- To promote a trend could cost $200,000 for one twenty four hour period.
- If you post a linked image in your tweet, it will gain five times as much attention as a simple text based tweet.
- For B2B marketing, Twitter is essential, with it being the second most popular platform for businesses marketing to other businesses.
- Nearly 30% of social media users in the USA have a Twitter account
- Twitter has 310 million active accounts and counting.
- More than 550 million people have sent a tweet.
- Another 500 million read Twitter without ever making a login.
- Journalists account for nearly a quarter of all Twitter users, making it a vital platform for the media and promotion of business.
- 83% of World Leaders have Twitter accounts and are active.
- A B2B marketer with a Twitter account can make twice as many leads as one who does not.
- 41% of people on Twitter have made a purchase after seeing an advert that was displayed in the last 30 days.